Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Unanswered Prayers



 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.”
(Proverbs 3:5)

I remember, the day I heard Garth Brooks on the radio singing this song for the first time, I had never heard of him before, but I loved that song and it made a lasting impression on me.  I immediately went to the store and bought his album and to this day it is one of my favorites!  It brings me back to the time I used to pray for God to make my marriage last, to change my husband’s overbearing ways, for God to help him become a better father and that love would restore itself, etc.  Though years went by, and it only got worse.  Until, I realized that was not God’s plan.  God had a better plan for us.  Yes, I know the Bible talks about remaining with your spouse and the covenant is, ‘to death do us part’.  But, I don’t believe God wants us to suffer as a result of that.  As children of God, He wants us all to be happy and wants the best for us.  He gave up His life for us so that he could take away our sins. 

Now, I look back over the years following and see how God has turned my life and my children’s lives around for the better.  We were able to break free and build a life where they now have a new loving father and role-model to look up to and even sisters to round out our family.  The love and compassion of this family is unique and we are all truly blessed.  I thank God for not answering my prayers back then.  God has a plan, and it is good.  It may not be what we had originally hoped for, but it will be better.  That’s the way God works; in His timing, not ours!

We may be praying for someone to survive an illness, or sudden accident that may have them left them mangled and beaten or disabled.  What we need to realize though, is that God is the all-knowing.  I don’t believe that God would cause bad things to happen to us.  We certainly don’t want bad things to happen to our children, so why would He?  I believe that because God knows what we’ve been through, and what we are going to go through, there are times when He knows we would be better off with Him.  He knows who is strong enough to survive and become and inspiration for others. He knows who will suffer and where sacrifices are needed.  He knows where the unwavering love and support from those left behind will prompt recognition and inspiration for others as a result of their loss and a desperate need to change the future for those that may suffer the same devastation.


As hard as it may be at times to trust in God, we need to remember that He is the all-knowing, all-seeing, all-forgiving, and the provider of His unconditional love for us.  He has a plan and He wants us to prosper and lead an abundant life full of love and joy, great health, and happiness.  It’s time we trust in Him, with all that we have, and all that we are, and believe with our hearts that in His timing it will be done!

No comments: