Monday, November 14, 2016
Precious Time Wasted
You’ve heard the phrase I’m sure, “why put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.” This mentality is something that we could and should use for every aspect of our lives. The reason why is because it will give us peace knowing that we did what we wanted to accomplish and now we can move on to the next. Granted there are times, when you physically have to put off because you physically are not capable at the time, but once you are, start attacking that to-do list with the vengeance. It will make you stand taller, feel more confident, proud of your accomplishments and at peace with yourself. Why put it off when it makes you feel so good?
Now, if we used this same mentality with our relationships, can you imagine how much healthier they would be? Think about it and take a minute to consider these aspects of your relationships.
1. Confrontation: Instead of harboring ill feelings for each other, address them right away. Ask God to give you the courage to speak up and the right words to say. Don’t rehearse, don’t wait; let God speak for you and it will be good! The words will flow out of your mouths and you will be amazed at what you are hearing.
2. Affection: Some show it well, and others don’t. They feel it, but they can’t or don’t always show it. I’m sure you’re familiar with the saying, “actions speak louder than words” and that’s a great one to remember. You can say I love you, but it’s the little things that show one another you love them. It can be as easy as putting a love note in their lunch, buying flowers or candy for no occasion, filling their tank with gas, wrapping your arms around them when they don’t expect it. Most of all though, just simply treat each other with respect, love, and admiration for each other. Don’t wait for the other to start, you start and it will rub off! Keep up the faith.
3. Forgiveness: Jesus died for our sins, and such our sins will be forgiven. Once we come to terms with our forgiveness, why should we not forgive others as well? Holding grudges is not good for you or the other person. It could affect so much more in both your lives and future by holding onto grudges. And if someone did you wrong, you must think about what they might be facing in the moment. Everyone has a story to tell, and everyone is dealing with some sort of struggle. Some may have even been treated unfairly in their childhood and that could be impacting their actions. We should always strive to be the bigger person! Learn to forgive. Everyone will be faced with judgment time when they reach Heaven, and everyone will feel the pain they caused by their actions. They will also know how their actions affected others, and not only that person but the innocent people affected by the result of that chain reaction. They will have much remorse for their mistakes and will regret having put us through what they did. Hold on to that thought and let it go; learn to forgive so it no longer affects us.
4. When It’s Time to Say Goodbye: There are occasions when we also must make the decision to put an end to a relationship. God brings people into our lives and out of our lives for a reason or a season. We may be there to help them grow, or they were brought to us to make us grow or learn a lesson. There comes a time when we must part and that can be difficult at times, or a very easy decision, yet hard to act on. This is when you must get closer yet to God and ask for his guidance and wisdom. God does not want us to be abused or mistreated in any way. If that is happening to you, you must seek God for support and support from your family and friends. We can always forgive, but we can’t forget and we can’t continue to be abused, taken for granted, or disrespected. You have to weigh your options and decide whether certain individuals are keeping you back or excelling you forward. And maybe even you are holding someone back from their dream; do everything with love in your heart.
5. Stop, Look, and Listen: Stop your bad ways; Look to God, Listen to what He has to say. He will guide you to a better way of thinking, a better way of loving, and a better way of living in His abundance. Please don’t waste any precious time when it comes to doing what is right! Have faith and trust in Him and His timing. Do not lean on your own understanding. God wants the best for all of his children!
“Do everything in love.” (1 Corinthians 16:14)